LOVE IS FOR PLEASURE AND MARRIAGE IS FOR CONVENIENCE

 Disclaimer: I am participating in Blogging from A-Z challenge 2022 and this is my post for L# LOVE ❤ IS FOR PLEASURE AND MARRIAGE 💑 IS FOR CONVENIENCE 🌹🤝


This is what I used to think during my Miss Ranjana Jain days. Among all my friends who were into serious relationships, 75 % of them married elsewhere for varied reasons whatsoever,  sometimes the guy's family was reluctant, sometimes the girl's, either the guy or the girl got more practical,  or at times one of the moves abroad etc. Eventually, all Valentine's evenings were spent together with the clandestine dates, the pocket-hole friendly gifts, all fruitless and useless. 

So whenever I was asked for my opinion I was always quick to voice it - loud and clear, that Love was for pleasure and Marriage for convenience. 

And since I always considered love as being a completely frivolous and hyped activity, I never succumbed to it.

The Biodata for marriage had come for a cousin of mine, but since she was a few months elder to the guy, her family sent it to my parents who were happy 😊 to receive it. 

A meeting was arranged, a boy meets a girl over tea kind of.

I was simply thinking what if I refuse or he refuses, it would be great only for short period,  it will be followed by similar kinds of awkward meetings, till one is successful. 

So after a few introductory questions,  Sandeep ( the Boy's name ) asked me if I felt he was good enough for me, to this I replied very practically, "You are okay with my glasses, my irregular teeth,  and my continuation of studies, so I m okay with you. " He simply smiled ( now I know, he smiled at my naivete).

We were engaged.  I was 20, he was 24.

During our courtship, we never met. I was in Kolkata and he was in Delhi.  Our telephonic conversations lasted 5 to 10 minutes max ., once a week,  every Sunday evening.  That's it. 

This continued for 7 months. Thereafter we were married. Things remained the same. I felt I had moved in with a stranger. His was a joint family. My inlaws  (Grandparents, Parents, Uncle and Aunt )all were warm and welcoming.

I felt all along I hardly knew Sandeep. Although we talked on a few long drives we had on weekends, that was that. I was uncomfortable with his proximity and told him so very clearly.  He wasn't surprised., and agreed.

 After a few weeks of our marriage, we were walking together around India Gate, he asked, how about being friends. I agreed. Our conversations kept getting longer. Both of us discovered common interests and told each other details about our lives so far. He always kept the unsaid and unwritten agreement intact. 

That friendship continues to this day. His patience and understanding won me forever. It was only after two months when we were walking on the same road at India gate, he asked me if he could hold my hand. I slipped mine into his.  The warmth of his strong hands felt good. 

Lesson learnt # Marriage requires intimacy and intimacy requires LOVE 👫

REPERCUSSIONS # Marriage for convenience has turned into Marriage for love.💞


http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/



Comments

  1. Aww... puppy love. I love this kind of love stories. A perfect definition of eternal love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading ur posts . As we discussed unfiltered, heartful ....and straight from heart. Never fall out of love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the witness of this entire love story...very innocent and cute...🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are fortunate that your partner agreed to the slowly-getting-to -know-each -other process Congratulations!

    Beth
    https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, that was such a cute little recounting. And am glad you both turned out to be understanding, your spouse more so. It's difficult when expectations or understanding falls through. Stay blessed!
    Read my A-Z at FictionPies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A friend in need is a friend indeed! 😇

DRIZZLE TO DOWN POUR

R# RUN LOLA RUN